- needs assessment, from the social, economic, heritage and environmental standpoints plus an analysis of constraints and potential of the territory in the Walloon Region;
- general objectives of harmonization of activities, mobility, frugal land management, conservation and development of our heritage from the sustainable development standpoint as targeted by the decree of 21 April 1994 on environmental planning for sustainable development;
Control urban sprawl: an ambitious goal of SDER. Source : douaisis.org
Charleroi : intermodal public transport (train, metro, bus) offers at Charleroi-Sud station. Source : rtbf.be
- options to be adopted and objectives by sector, particularly as concerns mobility, facilities and infrastructures of supraregional or regional interest;
- a description of the objectives of the proposal for the regional spatial development plan, and its links to other pertinent plans and programmes;
- pertinent aspects of the environmental situation and its probable evolution if the regional spatial development plan is not implemented;
- pertinent objectives in the field of environmental protection and how they were taken into consideration in developing the plan;
- probable non-negligible impacts on the environment, including side effects, cumulative effects and synergies in the short, medium and long term, both permanent and temporary, positive and negative, including biological diversity, the population, human health, fauna, flora, soil, water, air, climate factors, material goods, cultural heritage, including architectural and archaeological heritage, landscapes and interaction between these factors;
Hydraulic Lift on "Canal du Centre". Source : tourismewallonie.be
Nivelles-Genappes-Ottignies : natural reserve along RAVeL (specific network for low traffic : by byke, pedestrian, horseback). Source : milliersinstants.wordpress
- impact on agricultural and forestry activity;
- measures to be taken to avoid, reduce or compensate the negative impacts referred to in 7° and 8°; (above)
- a description of the assessment method retained and problems encountered;
- measures envisaged to monitor and implement the regional spatial development plan;
- a non-technical summary of the information referred to above.
The plan can indicate:
- the definition of zones for land-use planning in the territory;
- the instruments to be implemented.
To promote concerted sustainable development, the Walloon Government has undertaken to update the Regional Spatial Development Plan (SDER) by defining strategic options to structure Walloon territory so as to favour regional competitiveness and provide an effective response to the challenges of climate change, energy and mobility.
Objective(s) of the project
The update of the SDER will make it a future-oriented tool with:
- a larger guidance role;
- a variety of regional options;
- objectives in figures and indicators for project assessment.
Object of the mission
The SDER update has 3 parts:
- analysis of the situation and trends for the future
- the spatial development project – objectives and options – and the spatial structure project for Wallonia
- implementation of the project
In the medium term, the updated SDER will include this structure plus a fourth part devoted to monitoring and assessment.
The SDER update particularly pertains to:
- the main infrastructures,
- densification of habitat,
- preservation of zones not intended for urbanization,
- economic and agricultural activities, commercial zones,
- exploitation of underground resources,
- residential and employment areas, etc.
The approach to the update corresponds to the following objectives:
- establishing a long-term diagnosis
- determining a strategic position with regard to European, supra-regional and cross-border issues
- integrating the general harmonization objectives of the SDER in the regional sustainable development strategy
- coherence with other efforts being made in Wallonia.
SDER is designed and implemented using a voluntarily participatory, concerted approach
Documents and associated references (in french)